22 October 2008

Is Legalese even a Language??!!

So I know that the election is near and I know who I want to vote for President. However, I have no idea about anything else that is on the ballot this year, so I asked (thanks Michelle). I went to check out my local election options here. Very interesting stuff. Not being as politically savvy as my girlfriend and others, I had to read the information several times just to understand what was written (and can't they use lay terms, honestly, how many people read legalese anyway?!).

But I digress...

I love to gamble and know that if I lived closer to A.C. or L.V., I would be in trouble. So I was all for putting slot machines in Maryland until I read this:

Cons: In order to generate enough revenue to reach the projected increases to state funding, gamblers in Maryland would have to lose over $1 billion per year. To generate this level of revenue, the state will have to urge its citizens to frequent slots parlors. Gambling, like other addictions, frequently leads to social (and government) costs associated with lost productivity, increased crime, broken families and even suicide. Disposable income that currently generates sales tax revenue could be spent on gambling resulting in a loss to the General Fund. The referendum would put a specific revenue source, gambling, in the state Constitution. A constitution should be clear, concise and confined to fundamentals of the structure of government.

Now, I don't know how much of this is true but it got me thinking and now I'm not so sure about it anymore...I must learn more!

More on that another day...

Quote for today: "I have come to the conclusion that politics are too serious a matter to be left to the politicians." - Charles De Gaulle

1 comment:

Bundle Brent said...

I'm still waiting for someone to point out an example of a time when a gambling was legalized to pay for education or whatever, and it worked. As far as I can tell, the revenue is never as much as promised, and the expenses resulting from addiction therapy and crime management devour more resources than the gambling provides, and it just ends up in a big mess.

I've been thinking a lot about that one, too!